Rep. Mary Gay Scanlon carjacked at gunpoint in Philadelphiathaiphan November 20, 2023 Article
Rep. Mary Gay Scanlon, D-Pa., was carjacked at gunpoint in a park in Philadelphia on Wednesday afternoon, her spokesperson said in a statement.
The incident occurred around 2:45 p.m. ET FDR Park in South Philadelphia, where Scanlon had been attending a meeting earlier in the afternoon, the spokeswoman, Lauren Cox, said. The congresswoman was unharmed, Cox said.
“She thanks the Philadelphia Police Department for their swift response, and appreciates the efforts of both the Sergeant at Arms in D.C. and her local police department for coordinating with Philly PD to ensure her continued safety,” said Cox.
A two-term congresswoman, Scanlon represents Pennsylvania’s 5th congressional district, covering Delaware County, parts of South and Southwest Philadelphia and small parts of Chester and Montgomery Counties.
Teaganne Finn is a political reporter for NBC News.
You may also like
- China locks down entire city as Covid-19 cases rise ahead of Olympics
- US authorises Pfizer’s anti-Covid pill as Omicron surges
- British data suggests lower hospitalisation rate for Omicron Covid-19 variant
- U.S. Supreme Court to take up Biden vaccine mandate cases By Reuters
- Large holiday gatherings not safe even if vaccinated or boosted, Fauci says By Reuters